Monday, July 9, 2018

Week 24: Cudzia polícia (Foreign police)

We went to Sestra Alžbeta's to do some kind of service.  Her idea of "service" is as follows: go over her home, dig a couple of holes in the ground, pump a bit of water, pick apples from her tree which she gives to us, then eat a delicious lunch which she prepared for us.  Sometimes, I wonder who's really serving whom.

Here in Trenčín, there's a statue (now just a head) of a guy named Milan Rastislav Štefánik.  Apparently, he's some sort of hero, but I don't know his story well enough to relate it.  He used to be a complete statue, until the communist times, during which the communists were taking down statues.  Some človek thought it was a good idea to remove and hide the head of Milan (it ended up being a pretty good idea).  Shortly thereafter, the communists destroyed what was left of the statue.  After the communist era, thanks to that človek, we still have his head (see pics).

There's this problem a lot of missionaries are facing.  That is when they're praying in the morning, they fall asleep on their beds and end up "praying" for up to 30 minutes.  I call that "pulling an Enos."

Already I've had 2 areas on my mission, probably getting transferred in 3 weeks (because my comp is branch pres).  I hope I go to Košice next, I've heard it's the best-looking city in Slovakia.  Google it.


1. ZAPA: beton (concrete)

2. Vladimir (člen v Bratislave) (member in Bratislava)

3. Sestra Alžbeta

4. Kofola je takmer najlepšia (Kofola is almost the best)

5-6. President Václav just keeps getting cooler.


7-8. Up @ 3:30 am at the Foreign Police


9-11. Last statue is my guy Milan.



No comments:

Post a Comment