Monday, February 17, 2020

Week 107: Do skorého videnia

Last trivia night ever. I was on a team with Elder Abbott and three other friends. Before the trivia started, I was telling Miles jokes™️. If you don't know what those are, it might be a little hard for me to explain. There is a process behind it, though, which can be summed up in a few steps:

1. Find a word (ex. window). 
2. Modify the word (LOSEdow). 
3. Use the word in a normal sentence without anyone expecting it. 
4. Wait for people to get it.

One friend was laughing hard, the second hardly laughing and the third didn't seem to get any of them. "I'm a big fan of Miles jokes," said the first friend.

Then all of the sudden, the same waitress that once tried to get us to buy drinks came around. She said her classic line: "C'mon, if you want to come, you need to buy something."

Everyone was silent for a few seconds, so I just spoke up: "I already brushed my teeth." Everyone laughed except the waitress. Someone ordered lemonade to satisfy her, and then as she was about to leave, she told me, "If you don't order anything, you can't come and participate next time." Okay, deal.

"That was a good one," said the friend that wasn't amused by my other jokes. But this one wasn't a joke.

Maybe you know that today is my time as a missionary has come to an end. Missions? They're hard. Sometimes you feel completely inadequate, or you feel that you aren't making too much of a difference in much or anyone at all. What's even harder, though, is when you have to leave after having realized none of that is true. Through the deep, personal connections I've developed with others, I've been able to influence them and they me. I love these people more than I could have imagined loving anyone before coming here. While studying the scriptures, I read this passage written by Nephi about his own people, which relates to me so much that I began to cry upon reading it: "I pray continually for them by day, and mine eyes water my pillow by night, because of them; and I cry unto my God in faith, and I know that he will hear my cry" (2 Nephi 33:3).

I know God loves His children more than I do. They will be okay. I pray that I will continue to become the kind of person that can influence them and people like them for good and open their minds to new ideas. I've experienced change through the atoning sacrifice of Jesus Christ, and I promise you that it is possible to change and that more joy than you think awaits you. Look to the good examples you have around you and it will give you the desire to achieve great change and the faith to take the next step. In the name of Jesus Christ, amen.







No comments:

Post a Comment