Monday, June 24, 2019

Week 74: Poďte, muchy

It's getting hot around here, so Elder Akina and I leave the window open at night.  We quickly found out, however, that flies like to come in when the window is open, especially at night.  We got tired of chasing the flies around the room during language study, so Elder Akina took a rubber band and shot at it.

"Oh!" he shouted. "I got him!"  Now that we knew of Elder Akina's marksman skills, we didn't discourage any more flies from coming in.  In fact, we welcomed them by making a song: "Poďte, muchy", which means "come, flies", and it goes to the tune of "Come, Come, Ye Saints".  All bugs are now welcome into our apartment.

***

Bratislava is amazing for lots of reasons, one of which is its distinctive public transportation.  It's honestly so fun to talk to people in trams and buses (trams usually have AC.)  One day, we were talking to everyone in a bus from back to front.  As I was talking to the last person, the bus driver said something that I didn't quite catch.  I thought he might be annoyed, but then Elder Akina went up and talked to him.

"Real-live [members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints]?  In Slovakia?!" he said with a grin.  He asked us a whole series of questions until we finally arrived at the final bus stop for that bus's route.  

"Where are you going?" He asked.

"Oh, just a little ways down here."

"I'll take you," he insisted.  So we got a free taxi ride, in a bus.

***

When learning a foreign language, it's good to practice in any way you can, but my companion brought to my attention that I need to be more careful in how I'm practicing in public. For example, we were helping a man move to a new apartment.  Meanwhile, I was trying to improve my Slovak.  To me, I was just practicing the word "stonožka" and its different forms, but to the man it was probably slightly strange:

"Centipede... Centipedes... I am a centipede..."

I'll be more careful from here on out. 


All these photos are from last transfer with Elder Barton.












No comments:

Post a Comment