Tuesday, June 4, 2019

Week 71: Breaking & Entering

We had a companion exchange, which means the Elders from Žilina came to Banská Bystrica and I had a different companion for a day. When it came time for dinner, we didn't have anything to feed them, so we decided to walk down to the nearest grocery store and pick something up. Besides, I needed a few things for myself so it worked out nicely.

"Do you have the keys?" Elder Barton asked as we left the apartment.

"Dad," I said.

"Huh?"

"Get it?" Because "mám" (pronounced like "mom" in English) means "I have". They didn't think the joke was very funny.

So we all went shopping. At the checkout, Elder Brennan asked if he could borrow my Billa card, so I went to get it out for him. It should have been with my keys, but my keys weren't in my bag.  Uh-oh! I checked my pockets and then rechecked, but the keys didn't magically appear. That wasn't good, because that meant we would have to call our landlady, who didn't even live close to our apartment, and also she asked us to clean the window sill, but we hadn't yet. There had to be another way in.

Outside the apartment, Elder Brennan noticed that the windows were open. That's convenient, because we live on the ground floor. I guess you can say we broke into our apartment through the window.

I opened the door and let everyone in.  

"You said you had the keys!" Elder Barton said.

"No, if I had had the keys, I would have said 'mám'. I said 'dad'. Dad is the opposite of mom." He didn't like that joke, either.

No comments:

Post a Comment