Monday, February 18, 2019

Week 56: Bryndzové halušky

Since time is short, I thought I'd dedicate this email to telling you about the famous Slovak dish, bryndzové halušky.  Bryndza is sheep cheese, unprocessed as far as I know.  

To make halušky, you just need to shred a lot of potatoes and add a LOT of flour.  You boil it in water somehow and put bacon on top.  Then add the cheese.  You can probably tell I've never done this on my own.  And I think milk is important in the process somewhere.

***

I love Slovakia.  Not just the bryndzové halušky, but the people as well.  Whenever they find out we're from America, they usually say something like "How did you end up here?" and then "And you chose to come to Slovakia?"  

They take a lot of pride in how hard their language is.  You'll often hear that it's the "hardest language on earth."  I don't know if I agree with them there, but I just smile and say, "Yes, it's very hard."  You also gotta love the way they pronounce "little bit" when you ask if they speak English.  They say, "Leetle beet."  

Just so you know, I'm serving in the best country in the world.  Also the nicest people on earth.

Guess Who? [This must be the famous Elder Rasmussen!]

[It looks FREEZING and he's in a hoodie?!  Argh!]


No comments:

Post a Comment