Monday, October 28, 2019

Week 91: -17: The Best 2.08 Years

Arriving at the Missionary Training Center (MTC) three months short of two years ago, I was prepared for some time without some things I knew and loved: EDM music, binge watching TV shows and hanging with friends, just to name a few. I remember lying on the top bunk that night and thinking, "This is great and all, but I have two years of this. How will I make it?"

I still have some time left, but the more it passes, the less I want to go home. I wouldn't trade my mission experience for all the binge watching in the world. I wanted to touch on some things that I have either converted to or strengthened my conviction of on my mission, including time both at the MTC and in Slovakia.

1. Flossing. Not just flossing really thoroughly, but dental hygiene in general. I used to think that brushing your teeth was just that: brushing your teeth. But I've learned that it's less about going through the motions and more about following steps and principles that make for a cleaner, healthier mouth. Is it guaranteed that you will learn this on a mission? No. Did I need to learn this on my mission? No. Should you use a spoon to aid in brushing your teeth? If you don't have a better alternative, yes. 

2. Families. I thought I would miss my family when I left but soon realized that weekly communication was enough for me. It wasn't until later that I learned something very valuable. Missionaries I serve with and around, members of the Church from Slovakia and people I help teach have in a very special way become part of my family. Because I don't have the time or possibility to binge watch, I have no choice but to spend time with them in more meaningful ways. In doing so, our bonds have become strong in a relatively short time. As this has been happening, I've felt a greater desire to go back to America and take individual members of my family on a hike, to the park or just anywhere to spend quality time. 

3. The gospel blesses families. Faith in Jesus Christ is more than just believing that He exists. It includes a belief in Him as the Son of God, the Redeemer of mankind and the Savior of the world. It includes trust that by following His teachings, we can overcome sin, weakness, sorrow and pain, find greater peace and joy and develop stronger relationships. True faith in Christ leads us to change whatever necessary to live more in harmony with His teachings. Such living is not passive, but is active and takes effort; being born into a religious family doesn't guarantee that you'll make the personal effort to have faith and change. I've felt the relief that comes from doing so and I've had more joy with other people as we have done so together. I can only imagine what life-long dedication to this principle would do in a family.








No comments:

Post a Comment