Tuesday, April 3, 2018

Weeks 9.5 and 10

[Miles's p-day is Monday, but because it was Easter weekend, his p-day was moved to Tueday.]



It was Fast Sunday, in which day we fast, or go without food and water for two meals.  With me in the city of Nitra was Elder Akina (my trainer), Elder Jackson, and Elder Papenfuss.  We planned to break our fasts at 8, which was in 4 hours.  We were very hungry.  We were visiting a member of our church who couldn't make it to church that day.  She, probably unaware that it was Fast Sunday, had a large assortment of desserts on her living-room table.  No doubt that it was the center of attention.  

My trainer, Elder Akina (yes, he's from Hawaii)

Elder Jackson and Elder Akina were in the living room with me, and we made eye-contact for long enough to have an unspoken agreement:  we were breaking our fasts immediately.  We each prayed individually to end our fasts.  Elder Papenfuss was not in the room, so he had no idea what had just taken place.  A moment later, everyone was in the living room, and the old lady poured us some lemonade.  "Cheers," she says.  Elder Papenfuss then realized that we had all broken our fasts, and he had 3 seconds to do the same before the lemonade reached his lips.  He managed.  

Sestra Žiškova


Europe is super.  There are things that are different that don't need to be, like shower heads.  Prague is the best city I've ever been in.  Prezident Pohořelický and his wife are amazing; I'm in good hands.  But they're all the way in Prague, and I'm here in Nitra.  V pohode.  When I try to talk about the gospel with people, lots of them say, "Nemám záujem," which means, "I'm not interested."  One day, my companion and I decided to take a different approach:  We would go door to door offering service.  One lady responded, "No, I'm Catholic."  I don't see how that's related to me cleaning your toilet.  

I'm short on time, so let the pictures speak for themselves.





























1 comment:

  1. Wow, wow, wow! So impressed by Elder Aillery's writing and photography skills! :) He seems to have adjusted well and is taking to the language, the people and the place very well. I never knew he had such a witty sense of humor! Please send him our best (Smocks). Can you also ask if Elder Akina is from Hawaii? That's a family name so I'm just curious. Also, I've been to Prague and it is amazing.

    ReplyDelete