Thursday, February 22, 2018

Week 4

I sit across from my teacher, beside my companion.  We have been role-playing, and we butchered the lesson we just taught.  We have been taught to respond to questions in such a way as to satisfy the investigator, but also to lead the discussion.  We have done neither for this lesson, leaving us off-course and the investigator more confused than before.  I desperately try to bring the discussion around, but leave off at a weird place.  I have nothing more to say, but there is still an awkwardness in the air.  What do I say?  "Okay," I say, "bola lekcia."  Translation: "That was the lesson," or "That's all."  My teacher bursts into laughter, and I have never before seen him break character nor laugh so hard in all my time at the MTC.  Then I start laughing, and then my companion.  We can't stop for a full minute.  

The speaker for last Tuesday's devotional stated that everything we the missionaries expect of our investigators, God expects of us.  We want them to study the scriptures more diligently?  God wants us to study the scriptures more diligently.  We want them to pray more often and sincerely?  God wants us to pray more often and sincerely.

Thurs (15 Feb)
What a boring day, hope something exciting happens this week.

Fri (16 Feb)
Excerpt from journal: I'm tired.  Today was fun.

Sat (17 Feb)
Got a new pen :)

Sun (18 Feb)
Elders serving in the North Adriatic Mission leave today, things should get quieter.

Mon (19 Feb)
Stay up a bit late talking with the other Slovak Elders.  We talk about each of our strengths with the Slovak language.  We each have different strong points, but what matters is that each of us will someday learn the language well enough to teach.

Tues (20 Feb)
The speaker for this devotional is Elder Holland.  This is a big deal, as he is one of the 12 Apostles.  He says the missionaries are the first message of the church.  That is to say, the lessons we teach are great, but they won't make much of an impact if we aren't on our best act.  We are what people see first, not the lessons.

Wed (21 Feb)
Had a debate regarding whether color existed in real life before The Wizard of Oz.  That went well.  All in good fun of course (but everyone knows color didn't exist in the early 20th century.)


Slovak Flag

















Two Towers Challenge (forgot to mention, did it on Sunday).  Our zone takes down two cereal towers before the North Adriatic District leaves.
 



Slav Squat


(Here's Miles's response to my letter):
Language: Good.  It's like your eyes adjusting to the dark, it'll happen naturally.  But you still need to try.
Comrades: United.
Spirit: Here.
Prayers and Pondering: For my comrades.  I want to help my comp anyway I can, he's picking up on the language now.  It's not only me teaching the whole time now.
Food: Aight.  I like Monday's food the best, they bring in food from the outside world.
Accommodations: Nonexistent.  Be more specific?
Coat and Hangers: Left them in front.  
Mall: No.
Packages: Everyone gets them, everyone shares, so they don't need to be so frequent.  I liked the candies.


Thanks for the update.  My time here has been great, can't wait to leave.  Here's a picture of last night's slumber party.

No comments:

Post a Comment