Monday, March 18, 2019

Week 60: huh.

Some time ago, I met a kid on the bus.  He was excited when he found out that I was from America.  We become as good of friends as you can become with someone in the time of a short bus ride.  Before you know it, he has to get off!  Uh oh.  I still didn't have his #.  

"We'll meet again," I said, which is weird because usually, people say that to me, and that means they don't want to see me again.

***

I'll let you in on a secret: I don't sound like a native Slovak.  I don't think I ever will.  BUT.  At least I don't sound American.  One lady told me I have a Hungarian accent, and she's from Hungary.  



Recently, we stopped two teenagers on the street.  Instantly one greeted me like we've met before.  He said he was so happy to see me.  This usually isn't the reaction I get upon greeting people on the street.  I recognized his face, but I didn't know from where exactly.  Then I remembered: the kid on the bus!  Wow.  We're have a meeting in order for this week.


I thought this ad was funny.




Former missionary Brad Earl came to visit with his family on Sunday and ended up joining us for church. He was among the first missionaries (second group) to be called specifically to Slovakia. His Slovak is amazing for having not spoken it for 10 years. He served in Banská Bystrica for a whole year. He gave cool advice. He said if we're feeling miserable or stressed in this work, something is wrong. We're teaching people about God's plan of happiness, so we should be happy, even when it feels like the entire work is resting on our shoulders. Also, none of his family likes Kofola. I guess you have to live here for some time to acquire such a taste.



No comments:

Post a Comment